Welcome to our website for St Annes Lawn Tennis and Squash Club. Brand new for the 2019 season.
This year will bring a number of improvements to our club as new management seeks to put in place changes to ensure we continue to thrive for many years to come.
We will be delighted to welcome a fresh coaching team under a new and exciting head coach as Jonathan is stepping down to pursue other challenges. We wish him well.
Our doors are always open to new members looking to take up a new sport for themselves and their families. Or to seasoned campaigners looking to join the most successful competitive team squad in the area.
See you at the club soon!
Sarah Barraclough x
Michael currently runs three classes on a Saturday: Young juniors, juniors and adults. He is available for 1-to-1 sessions before and after these group sessions. Enquiring by emailing below.
Stuart is currently rising up the levels of LTA professional coaching and is assisting in group coaching sessions. He is available as a hitting partner for a small charge.
There is currently a vacancy for a Squash coach. We have a particular requirement for fun junior sessions which could involve other activities such as table tennis. Anyone interested on running 1-to-1 or group coach coaching sessions at our venue please enquire by sending us an email below.
St Annes Lawn Tennis and Squash Club is a Victorian Tennis Club dating back to 1900. It was originally established by a group of enthusiasts using municipal courts at Hope Recreation Grounds and Ashton Gardens in St Annes. In 1920 they combined with another local club to carve the current site from the sand dunes by Clifton Drive North.
The Club's annual Open Tournament was a popular feature of Lawn Tennis in the North West since its inception in 1932. In 1934 the committee spent £1,000 extending the pavilion, and in May 1935 the Mayor of Lytham St. Annes, officially opened three new grass courts and a stadium. He hoped that the Club would continue to progress, and become one of the leading clubs of the North. Exhibition matches regularly attracted crowds of 2,000 plus, with such players as Fred Perry, ‘Bunny’ Austin, Dorothy Round and Kay Stammers wowing the crowds. [more]
After the Second World War the Open Tournaments recommenced in 1948. Exhibition events also resumed, reviving the pre-war interest and attracting crowds to see Wimbledon stars and overseas players in action. In 1950 and in 1954 Harvard & Yale played Lancashire at the Club before about 1000 spectators and many friendships were formed. In May 1952 there was a women’s event – Great Britain v France (an easy 16 – 0 victory for the British as a very wet weekend prevented the French from practising on the unfamiliar grass).
The clubhouse is home to the Cresent Yoga Studio. A variety of classes take place throughout the day. For a full timetable visit Cresent Yoga
We have a small but functional hotel style gym complete with free weights, a multigym and a range of cardio machines.
Monday evenings plays host to St Annes Backgammon club. Come along from 7:30 in the bar if you enjoy the game of backgammon or you would like to learn.
7:00pm - 11:00pm
12pm - 2pm, 7pm - 11pm
7:30am - 11:30pm
9:30am - 10:30am
9:30am - 12:00pm